Friday, April 9, 2010

Maintenance... and Mantua

Sorry folks, it looks like there has been a lot of activity here today, but it was just me doing some maintenance. I was trying to consolidate and streamline the labels for each post. I'm not happy that there is a limit of how many labels you can list for each post... I had hoped to use the labels as a quick reference on the homepage, and I still will do that but it will be incomplete as sadly sometimes I have talked about too many different things in one post. I will try to make that more comprehensive from now on.

If you happen to be in Italy before the end of June and you are interested in Renaissance tapestries, you really should go to Mantua. Besides the fact that it is a beautiful city, rich in history, art and architecture and where there are far less tourists than in other places; from March 14th to June 27th, 2010 there will be an exhibition of The Gonzaga Tapestries from the Renaissance. From Mantegna to Raphael and Giulio Romano.

A friend in Mantua tells me there are two exhibitions; one at the Palazzo Tè and one at the Ducal Palace. The exhibition at the Ducal Palace is a permanent exhibition but if you're going for the tapestries, you should really go to both!

I had the opportunity to see the Ducal Palace a few years ago, but didn't make it to the Palazzo Tè... well, we went to the bookshop... but the museum was closed for the day. I'll just have to go back with more time to spare!

More information (in Italian) on the exhibition can be found here. If you go to the Art Newspaper's website and click on the heading "The Gonzaga Tapestries" under 'Mantua, Italy/Museo Civico Palazzo Tè', there is some information in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment